Wednesday, October 1, 2008

No ordinary day at the office


I finally got to visit our signature bridge, The New River Gorge Bridge. I went out with three of our inspectors and took the 3000 foot walk across the catwalk underneath the bridge. At mid span we were 876 feet above the river. This is the same river we rafted down this summer.


Making my way to the cat walk

Checking out the view once I got my stomach out of my throat What I saw... the New river almost 900 ft below. I wish the picture did it justice.
This is me at mid span, with the top of the arc right below. Notice that you can't see the other side of the bridge behind me
Being a dare devil
Not really, see how close the ground was. I'm on the same beam just a different view. I had to take this picture for Rich... I didn't realize he had already been here ;)

Ground! That's a genuine smile

At the base of the Arch thrust block, after a 15 minute hike through the brush and briars to get to it.


Me inside the bottom of the arch ring. Each of these members is 7 feet tall. I'm waiting for my eyes to adjust before I climb through this pitch black hole.
I made it! I was more scared to climb into this small dark space than I was being on the catwalk.

This is how much room there really was in the member, but with out a flash light I couldn't bring myself to stand up. Who know what kinds of critters usual hang out in here. I got talked into getting this far to look out the hole in the bottom of the tube to see the river that's right behind us. This is as far as I got. Glad to be back in the fresh air with a look of the gorge and other side of the arch behind me. At the end of the day I was exhausted, emotionally and physically. I had a great time and the inspector really took care of me. They said they are very proud of me... I didn't chicken out of anything and I went every where they went. I can't wait to go back!

No comments: