Thursday we finish moving the transformer. They had to order parts and they were over nighted the wrong ones so Wednesday's move didn't happen. Below is a picture of the first Jump Bridge. Most of the other bridges on this route already had a pier added at mid span from the last moves. But for two concrete beam bridges they have to use these jump bridges because concrete doesn't react the same as the other steel bridges. The flat center portion of this structure does not touch the road. So it carries the load and not our bridge below. 



This picture is of us stopped on the side of the road, to allow the build up of traffic behind to pass us. Or so we thought... Moments later we saw this white cloud of smoke rising from the front of the trailer. With a quick fire extinguisher that problem was solved temporarily.When we reached the location of the second bridge that needed to be jumped they fixed the problem. We had to wait about an hour for the crew to get the second bridge constructed because it was much longer.

The center piece, where the guy is standing is not touching the road. Notice it is about 4 inches off. The left point where it is touching is off the picture and the right one is at the truck.

Which helps to explain why when the load was applied it deflected all the way to where the end points of the center piece did touch. They were not supposed to touch! I think both mine and my bosses stomach rolled over then. It hit right where the bridge starts an stops so it wasn't a huge deal, but definitely not ideal.
It took 6 hours to move it about 22 miles. I drove the whole way with a State Trooper behind me. Its pretty hard to ignore flashing lights in your rear view mirror. The State Fair of WV starts today, so I think we passed every camper and RV that lives north of Lewisburg. That made it interesting in some of the curves where our truck needed to be on the center line. They finished the last little bit this morning and she made it out of WV, all I can say is I'm glad to see her gone!

The center piece, where the guy is standing is not touching the road. Notice it is about 4 inches off. The left point where it is touching is off the picture and the right one is at the truck.

Which helps to explain why when the load was applied it deflected all the way to where the end points of the center piece did touch. They were not supposed to touch! I think both mine and my bosses stomach rolled over then. It hit right where the bridge starts an stops so it wasn't a huge deal, but definitely not ideal.
It took 6 hours to move it about 22 miles. I drove the whole way with a State Trooper behind me. Its pretty hard to ignore flashing lights in your rear view mirror. The State Fair of WV starts today, so I think we passed every camper and RV that lives north of Lewisburg. That made it interesting in some of the curves where our truck needed to be on the center line. They finished the last little bit this morning and she made it out of WV, all I can say is I'm glad to see her gone!
No comments:
Post a Comment