Sunday, November 8, 2009

Richard's Autumn

I think I had my first pumpkin pie a few years ago, maybe 3 or 4 at a Thanksgiving at Me'Ma's. I'm not quite sure, and the details get fuzzy around lots of food, but it was a while ago. So ever since then, I've been pursuing Pumpkin Pie during the holiday seasons, as well as all those other Holiday delights that come with Autumn air. My first real sweet potato casserole was two years ago here in West Virginia during a Christmas party. I remember dad always trying to get me to eat sweet potatoes here, and a baked sweet potato there, but I never think I actually tried them. The point being, I love the Holiday season and all the unique food that comes with cold brisk mornings......So back to the picture.
About a month ago, Tricia and I were grocery shopping and came across a pumpkin, a tiny pumpkin, called a Pie Pumpkin; and tacked on to that Pie Pumpkin was a recipe for Pumpkin Pie, I couldn't resist. We bought that little gourd-like squash of the Cucurbitaceae family and took it home. That night we baked our first REAL home-made pumpkin pie from scratch, and IT WAS AMAZING! The texture, the taste, the spices, color, experience, all of it was heavenly delicious. I feasted for 5 days straight with pumpkin-pie desserts after every dinner.
About a week later, we baked another and passed it on to our neighbors for Brad's birthday, and they were kind enough to share a piece with us. And just tonight, we sculpted our third installment of Pumpkin goodness that we happily choose to share just the photo with you. If you'd like to experience the real deal, I suggest you stop on by the Whiddon Chateau and steal you a slice of Heaven; other than those means, I highly doubt you'll get a smell of the Cinnamon-Nutmeg-Allspice goodness!
However, do enjoy the above picture. Brought to you by the Whiddon Kitchen and Holiday Cheer!
Our next feat is to concur the Sweet Potato Pie, made famous by Alabama in their 1989 hit Song of the South. Southern sweet root goodness of the Convolvulaceae family is scheduled for baking Thursday night, we'll let you know how it turns out!

No comments: