We finished the week on a rough note. I suppose you can say that I finished the week on a rough note, skins test wasn't so easy. I still haven't gotten my grade back yet, but I am not feeling so good about it. Saturday we went to the SAA picnic and played some cornhole and it was actually a tournament. Tricia and I on a team, against 7 other teams. We made it to the final round, and lost both games (no prize for us). After the picnic and fun, we went to downtown Lewisburg for the annual Civil War Battle of Lewisburg. What you are seeing to the left here, is the Surgery By Candlelight exhibition. The entire greens area around the junior college was covered with tents, campfires, and probably 60 or more individuals dressed and playing the role of an 1840s West Virginian. We walked around, visited and socialized with a few friends and the soldiers.
As per the surgeon, this is a very similar situation representative of a civil war hospital tent. The patient would have either been given a hefty inhaled dose of ether or chloroform to render them unconscious. If this was unavailable, the surgeon offered a thick slice of leather to bite down on, and quickly continued the all too often amputation. Surgeon Bob informed us of the incredible survival rate of more than 75%; unfortunately the patients died soon after due to infection and gangrene.
After the late night amputation lesson, we returned home with a few friends to sit down in our downtown apartment to visit and mingle.
No comments:
Post a Comment