Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Praise God! We made it to Texas!

Paige and I safely and sanely arrive at DFW yesterday morning! We left the house about 4:15am and Richard just scooped Paige from her bassinet and moved her to the car seat. We made it through check in and to the security line before she started to squirm. Once at our gate I walked with her and she returned to a full slumber. We boarded the plane first, one of the only perks of traveling with children. I remained seated and began praying that a woman would sit next to me so I wasn't uncomfortable nursing Paige. As the other passengers filed in, our whole row remained empty. Then the flight attendant closed the door! Hallelujah! I continued to rock Paige and she squirmed through the take off and climb. She had her pacifier and was pretty much still asleep. I had my nursing cover and burp cloth ready for when she woke up hungry. But before I knew it our 45 minute flight to Charlotte, NC was over! She slept through the whole thing. Thank you Lord.
Paige's first flight

We only had an hour lay over in Charlotte, so I wanted to get to my next gate before she woke up. A lady who saw me in Charleston was traveling with her husband and some friends so she offered to pull my suit case to allow me to have two hands for Paige. She was also going to the same next terminal. While waiting for our next flight I changed her diaper and began feeding her. She wasn't willing to wait any longer, but I was surprised she made it until 7 am. We boarded the plane and a coupled passed me with young twins so I was relieved to not be alone. I began again praying for a female seat mate. Just then a young couple came up to take the two seats next to me. It worked out fantastically because they leaned on each other to sleep and I wasn't cramped for space. Paige nursed during the ascent and went straight back to sleep. After we were served our drinks the male flight attendant came through to pick up trash. He leaned over and said, "If you need to get up or go to the bathroom, I would LOVE to hold that little thing. All mine are in their twenties." So of course I had to let him see our sweet angel. In about an hour I went to the restroom and stretched while he got his baby fill. I chatted with the attendants at the back of the plane for a bit and they reassured me about flying with babies. They said they love it and to never feel bad about a crying baby. One woman said she's goes by and tells the babies to scream louder, if anyone has a problem with it that's their own issue. Paige ate on descent and did great. Most of the passengers didn't even know she was there. We gathered all our luggage with the help of fellow passengers and made our way to meet Gayle. Paige was wide awake to see her Mammy again and after changing a full diaper we headed to meet the rest of the family. I spent the afternoon showing of our beautiful girl and she did her best to charm them with her smiles. It was so wonderful to introduce her to my side of the family. As my Grandmother said, "Babies can make a fool out of anybody." And she sure did. She was rather fussy from an inconsistent feeding schedule because of all the activity. But she and I both slept very well after a very long and very full day.
I am so thankful that God protected us during our travel and even sent a few angels to help along the way. Just don't forget God... we still have to get back home. ;) Not until the 24th though. In the meantime family will be getting in as much love as possible. I'm sure I will be bringing back one very spoiled little girl!

No comments: